+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Salvaging an old home

We have inherited my in-laws 100+ year old home. It is next to our home, so we aren't interested in selling or renting. We would like to dismantle it for salvage purposes, but don't know where to start. We are in the Houston, TX area.

Any suggestions?

Connie M

Default Re: Salvaging an old home

I would start by stripping the interior.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

That is what I was thinking. Take the trim, windows, and doors. The walls are shiplap pine. We can't take them out without compromising the structure. Would we do the roof next and work our way down?

When you say "The walls are shiplap pine" are you refering to the siding outside or finish inside the house?

Jack

The exterior and interior walls are shiplap pine. If you remove the plaster from the walls, there is wood under it. Each wall has two layers of the pine with a gap in between for wiring, etc. The exterior of the house is asbestos siding with the shiplap pine under it.

If the exterior has ship lap siding that should maintain the integrity of the structure while you remove the interior pine, wiring, and plumbing. If you are not interested in salvaging those items you could start with the roof but be aware once the roof is off anything inside could be damaged by rain.

Jack