+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Replacing posts under beams

I am in the process of moving an exterior wall in the basement. The house is post and beam construction. The wall being removed has two posts in it that hold the upper floor. I need to leave the beams supported where these posts are. When I took apart the wall to see how it was put together I was surprised to see that there are 4 2x4's (spanning this 16' long section of wall) stacked between the posts and the foundation (which is a block foundation). As the posts will no longer be inside a wall I need to come up with a way to keep the posts in place by themselves.

The existing posts are wood but I am considering replacing with steel ones. My problem is how do I interface between the existing foundation and the new posts in such a way that the bottom of the post cannot kick out. I assume the stack of 2x4's was there to spread out the load from the posts onto the block foundation. Is there a way to connect a steel post to the block foundation such that a slab can be poured around the posts? Do I need to put a steel plate on the top of the block spanning the two posts and then anchor the post flange to that? Should I build up a section of concrete to replace the stack of 2x4's and then secure the posts to that?

Any help given would be GREATLY appreciated. I can post pictures and drawings if that helps.

-Walt

Default Re: Replacing posts under beams

Since you are staying in the same place as the original posts, there should be a sufficient footer there already. You could anchor the bottom of the posts by setting them in a ~4" deep concrete square. I would drill the slab and insert pins to reinforce the concrete anchor you are adding.

Meant to ask if the added weight of the concrete counter top is causing the move to steel posts!!
    Last edited by bp21901; 07-23-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Wowsers....someone on the list actually remembers the concrete counter-tops?? Spruce....is that you with a different alias? Just to close the loop...the counter-tops are on the other side of the house. The weight of those things bears almost directly onto the foundation wall.

I do not know what is directly underneath where the existing posts are. I am thinking about buying some jack posts and lift up the beam so I can remove the existing and find out what exactly is under there. I assume it is the block foundation wall and the stack of 2x4's is to spread the load out.

The move to the metal post was because I figured I cold set the bottom of the post in concrete and not worry about it getting kicked out. If I stick with wood I would have to add some sort of bracket...that might be a trip hazard as the post will no longer be set inside a wall.

Thanks for the reply!

-Walt

Oh come on Walt, I'm not the only one who's older than dirt around here!

I'm not awake enough to answer your question about the wall. I'll try to come back to it a little later.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Pictures will help.

The stacked 2x4's has me scratching my head a little. I am trying to picture the block foundation, in a basement, at floor level, being exposed after you move the wall. I surely am not picturing this correctly so a pic would be most helpful.

and yes...i must be older than dirt, cause I do remember the infamous concrete counter top thread. Hey I got an idea, instead of steel posts why not use the first failed attempts at the counter tops that you probably have laying around stacked on top of each other to support that beam!!

I will put up some pictures later tonight hopefully

We have the original drawing package from Deck House and apparently this was the original design intent. It was supposed to be a 4x6 on a poured concrete foundation wall...so pretty close. None of the pieces in our house were made of PT...and there was a mud trail in one of them

And those failed attempts at the counters? Down the hill a long time ago

I put up some pictures at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...terior%20wall/

I will send some descriptions later today. I found solid concrete under a section of the 2x4 stack. I am thinking maybe it is block with he holes filled in? Is this common?

I was able to dig out the drawings from the original design. You can see it here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tion_thick.jpg

Assuming there is solid concrete under the 2x4 stack is it OK to mount the new metal post directly onto the concrete and bolt in the bottom? We are pouring a new slab to match up with the existing interior slab...so the threaded portion of the metal post will be encased in concrete.

-Walt
    Last edited by waltdeckhouse; 07-24-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: wrong attachment

Is the detail drawing what you have now? Was the detail drawing checked and approved by the city?

I dont like the depth and the lack of rebars in the post footing. A good steel post will seat on top of a 2' deep footing that has rebars and 4 anchor bolts, depending on the load.

You can get a better answer from a local engineer. Call an engineer before you start.