+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Need help with my push mower

Hello, everyone.

I have a Murray push mower and it has a pretty easy-to-remove air filter assembly. The only trouble is that I can no longer tighten the air filter housing bolt. It appears the threads have been stripped. This means that when the mower runs, the vibration causes the air filter housing to come loose.

There are some pictures below. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!
    Erik

This is the housing, as it's supposed to sit on the mower:

This is the bolt:

And this is a top-down look at what the bolt screws into. I can't tell if it's screwing into plastic or if there is are metal threads beneath the plastic:

Default Re: Need help with my push mower

If the long screw is stripped, just get a replacement screw.

If the place where the screw goes into (inside the caburator) is stripped, you need to replace the carburator.

You may have luck finding parts (new and used) at lawnmower repair shops. But don't shed a tear if you don't find what you need. Jusr replace the mower, it looks like you are ready for that.

Check the threads on the filter screw, are they rounded, worn excessively, or otherwise not it perfect shape? If so, replace it. If they are, then the hole in the bottom of the carb is probably stripped.

It may be possible to have the hole rethreaded, helicoiled, or drilled out and tapped a little larger, you'll have to check into it and decide if the cost is worth the value of the mower or if mower replacement is the better route.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You can get a helicoil set and renew the threads in the carburetor, then get a new screw. A cheaper alternative is to get a pierce of all thread the same size as the screw, cut to length, screw into the carb with some epoxy or JB Weld to hold it there permanently and use a wing nut on top.
    Last edited by keith3267; 07-22-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Great minds think alike Keith.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks, everyone. The all thread idea sounds like the best. I think I'll give that a shot!

If I use All Thread and secure it in the carburetor with epoxy, wouldn't it then be really difficult to remove the carburetor in the future, if I need to clean or replace it?