+ Reply to Thread

Default prehung door: flush w/subfloor?

I need to install some prehung door units. On one side will be engineered wood flooring, the other will get carpeted. I know the jamb can be cut to slide the wood floor beneath it, but does the unit need to be raised for the carpet installers, or do they cut the jambs as well?

Default Re: prehung door: flush w/subfloor?

The jambs won't be cut for the carpet, but should be cut for the hardwood. If both surfaces are being installed by the same crew, then yes, they should cut the jambs as necessary.

The thing is, you're asking about prehung doors, which indicates that you have not installed them yet, if this is the case, you can set the frames higher in the opening to accommodate the flooring, this will also save you from having to cut door bottoms to maintain an air gap of about 1".
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce is correct but instead of 1" make the gap to the height of the finished hardwoods or better yet, install the doors after the hardwoods are installed. That way you can set the door jambs directly over the wood flooring for a perfect fit.

So carpet installers tack carpet around the trim and jam, instead of tucking it under like they do with baseboards?

That is what I've always seen.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bfelker View Post
    So carpet installers tack carpet around the trim and jam, instead of tucking it under like they do with baseboards?

Depends on how they are installed. Some trim guys leave a 3/4" gap some don't The carpet guys aren't about to use an undercut saw.