+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default HELP! Shaded front yard is an embarassment to our new home and beutiful neighborhood

We bought our house about 8 months ago and the front yard is just a horrible eye sore. I've been told by the neighbor that the previous owner could not grow grass (fescue and st. augustine) Plus the yard is is alomost completely shaded by Live Oak Trees. I do not want to waste a bunch of money on trying different ideas. I'm scared to get started! I need an inexpensive way to make my yard pretty. We are first time homeowners.

Default Re: HELP! Shaded front yard is an embarassment to our new home and beutiful neighbor

You can shred the leaves in the fall and then leave them on the ground, they make a nice mulch to walk on. There are many plants that thrive under the shade of trees. A few dogwoods would add a mid level interest in the spring when they flower. Azaleas, hostas and hydrangeas make good foundation plantings around the trees. There are many woodland flowers that would look nice too like bleeding hearts and jack in the pulpit.

Check out some nursery catalogs like Michigan Bulb Co for some pre-planned shade gardens and more ideas.

Default Re: HELP! Shaded front yard is an embarassment to our new home and beutiful neighbor

Much of the problem may be the live oak keeps the soil too dry for grass. even shade tolerant grass needs a few hours of light.
    Selective trimming of the tree may let in more light. Get a real nursery to suggest ground covers or plants that should thrive(not a big box store). Most will help you design if you have pictures & dimensions

Look into non-plant type of landscape. Almost zero maintenance, inexpensive and attractive for difficult areas.

There are a zillion ideas in landscape magazines and books.

Maybe raised planting beds with good soil and watering? Shade is not the enemy...

I too have massive trees shading the front 'lawn'. Instead of grass, the area is covered with shade loving plants poking through a thin leafed Liriope, which looks like 8" tall uncut, dark green grass. I must water with sprinklers or the tree sucks up any available moisture. Don't rush, it took 8 years to get it to look filled in. Plants growing in the shade are often slow growing.

Quote Originally Posted by daspyda View Post
    Maybe raised planting beds with good soil and watering? Shade is not the enemy...
    Agreed! My favorite gardens are shady gardens. There is a world of plants that love the shade. If you want low maintenance and low need for "expertise" type plants, opt for HOSTAS, FERNS, & IVYS. Each of these families have a number of options.

When you plan your beds, perhaps you could shoot for a 'night time' garden - whites and purples give a beautiful glowing effect at dusk.