+ Reply to Thread

Angry Leaking at the tops of windows after roof was replaced.

I just had my roof replaced due to hail damage and the first strong, windy storm we've had since is right now and I've suddenly got water coming in from the tops of 3 (so far) windows. Any ideas before I call the roofing company of what may be going on? I tried to upload two pictures but it's not working. Maybe because I just signed up. If you want to see them, I can email them to you. Thanks for your help in advance.

Jared

Default Re: Leaking at the tops of windows after roof was replaced.

If you are certain that the leaks are from the windows, then they have nothing to do with the roof, unless the roofers messed with the window flashings.

You can call your roofers, or other companies for estimates.

When I say tops of the windows it's a bit misleading. The windows sit into the walls a bit. So the water isn't coming in where the glass meets the wall but from the area above the glass that is parallel to the ceiling. They came out and said it is from a hole in one of the gutters because they are built into the roof. I suppose this seems plausible (but I know nothing about houses, keep in mind) but it just seems strange that I would own this house for 2 years with a 20+ year old roof with cheap shingles and hail damage with no leaks. Roof gets upgraded and a few days later I've got 3 seperate spots that are dripping water. Plus, if there was a huge rusted out hole in the gutter, you'd think they would have noticed when they were replacing the roof and offered to fix it. We also found a spot leaking upstairs into a wall that has a sky light above it. They blamed it on the sky light being cheap and impossible to completely seal, but again, why all of a sudden is it leaking now? Maybe I'm totally wrong here, but just seems like too much of a coincidence..

Thanks for the additional information.

Yes you had bad roofers. Give then the chance to fix it. If they cannot or will not, get that in writing before having a skilled roofer fix the job (and give you a warranty) Then sue the first company for the repairs if you think you'll see a dime.