+ Reply to Thread

Default Plaster walls/wallpaper

Our house is about 90 years old. Back in the day they applied this "wallpaper" to help prevent the plaster from cracking. In one of my bedrooms I am redoing it is all coming away from the walls and leaving areas I don't know how to fix. I have scrapped away as much as I could but there are rough edges. Not sure if I need to plaster over these area's (some very large ones) or just sand down the rough areas as best I can and then repaint. There are some cracks that have become exposed, but the plaster is otherwise intact! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Plaster walls/wallpaper

I get mixed signals from your posting, as far as the condition of the plaster. I think you need the help of a pro.

Worst case scenario: remove the old plaster (90 years are enough), and put all new drywall. There are so many advantages to doing so, and some of them: you'll have a chance to see whats's in your walls, repair, replace, clean and so on. Then you'll be able to improve things like plumbing, electrical, insulation and more. With new drywall, you'll get a feeling of a 'new' home.