+ Reply to Thread

Default metal roof - paint or replace?

We are buying a 1920's farmhouse that has a badly pealing metal roof. The painting estimate we received was so expensive that we could re-roof the house with 30 year shingles. We were told that oil based paint would last 5 - 7 years. Silver paint ~10. Can you tell me why I might want to keep this metal roof rather than replace it?

Default Re: metal roof - paint or replace?

No, I can't tell you...

Some folks like the metal roof look. But with a paint job every 10 years, I'd rather have a shingle roof.

BTW, we've all seen those metal roofs fly off the roofs in 50 miles per hour winds.

Yes, I've heard about those winds as well. However, since this roof was put on in 1920, I don't think I have to worry about that problem any time soon. I'm just wondering if the painting contractor really knows what he is doing. He said oil based paint would last 5 - 7 years and silver paint made for metal roofs would last for about 10. Somehow, that just doesn't sound right to me. Why/should you use a paint that isn't made for metal roofs? (I'm going to get other quotes, don't worry)

If this is a corrugated metal roof, the silver paint will do, but if you have standing seam metal, never use silver paint or any kind of other mobile home roof coating product on it! Standing seam "terne" metal roofs are very thin and don't take well to the modern chemical brews that roof coatings contain. It will lead to worse problems.
    A terne roof is a lifetime investment, but if it has begun to fail to the point where it has pinholes, you're better off re-roofing, otherwise paint and enjoy.
    The old standard paint routine for terne was very lengthy: wash, wire brush and scr ape; prime with "Tin-o-lin" red oxide primer, then coat with the oil finish coats. Very time-consuming.
    The new method consists of the washing and wire brushing, and the use of a phosphoric-acid type rust converter, then directly apply the acrylic roof paint. If you have a lot of surface rust, you may get 2-3 years out of a paint job before the rust starts to bleed through. DAMHIKT.

Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks! I definitely need to get those other quotes now. Yes, we have a standing seam terne roof. Sounds like our current quote is from someone using the old practices, not the new. The roof has a lot of flaking now. Most of the paint is gone, but because the previous paint was red it is difficult to be sure that there is no rust. From the inside, don't see any pinholes or water damage. So, now we just have to find the right contractor who uses the correct paint.

He said oil based paint would last 5 - 7 years and silver paint made for metal roofs would last for about 10. Somehow, that just doesn't sound right to me. Why/should you use a paint that isn't made for metal roofs?
    ?????

I agree. I've got 3 more contractors coming to give estimates next week. I will let you know what they say. Now I have a bit more information about how this should be done. Thanks Casey!

Yes...I totally agree with you Nissen . Your roof is already very old.I don't think it is right to paint it. In my opinion you should go for re-roofing. Also you can contact with your local roofers, they'll provide you better suggestion according to your roof condition and also the temperature in your area. This way you would take smart decision of getting your roof paint or to go with reroofing it.