+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roofing help

Hybrid View

Unhappy Roofing help

I will not pretend to to know anything about roofing so please bear with me.

I noticed one of the gutters was loose so went up to check it out. After lifting up the shingles a little I noticed a gap between the plywood and the edge of the roof. The gap is large enough that I can stick my hand straight into the attic. There are also some mouse droppings at the opening.
    Looking around the roof in some places there is a metal edge (drip edge?) that comes down off the roof and to the gutters. Other places it's just the shingles that are covering this opening.

I'm getting conflicting answers as to whether this is an issue.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    I do have a picture but can't link it as I don't have enough posts yet.

Cheers
    David Lucas
    Last edited by photoj; 07-19-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Default Re: Roofing help

1. A small gap between the plywood and the edge is acceptable, but a large gap like yours, is not.

2. Technically, drip edge is necessary on those sides where the water drains, but most roofers will install drip edge all around the roof. Yet, I've seen many roofs with no drip edge at all.

Building inspectors are not as tough on roof finishes as they are on other things, like framing, electrical or plumbing. At least this is my experience. But that desn't mean you can accept a poor roofing job for your money.

dj1,

Thanks for the reply. Sadly or maybe not it wasn't a job I had done. We purchased the house three months ago and I just noticed this now. Do you or anyone have any suggestions on a fix? I had one quote to add drip edge around the roof but didn't really feel comfortable with the roofer.

Cheers
    David Lucas

A quick fix is advised. If the gap is 3" or 4" wide, install a strip of plywood under the shingles/felt paper, then a drip edge.

Don't like this roofer? call others for bids.

Generally speaking, you must have a good understanding with your contractor. You want a contractor who does everything to code. Never pay off a contract until everything is completed and approved.

Thanks dj1. That was a big help.

Cheers
    David Lucas

We purchased the house three months ago and I just noticed this now.