+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation 23 year old SUbmersible Well Pump

THe prestent pump is having a backflow problem and the plumber in coming this afternoon to pull the pump out to look at it.

What would be a reason to replace the pump rather than repair? If I should replace it what brand is the best? I have a deep well with 20g per minute flow. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or insights!

Default Re: 23 year old SUbmersible Well Pump

I would replace it. If it's 23 years old. The major part of you cost will be pulling and resetting the pump. To replace it the only add cost would be the difference of the new pump minus the cost of the repair to the old one.

John

I'm not sure why, but my well has two check valves, one after the well head and one underground. If yours is the same, maybe only the one on top is bad and the well won't have to be pulled. My well and pump is older than yours and when the check valve at the pump went bad, my well man recommended just replacing the check valve and not the pump. But he determined that after inspecting the pump. I have no idea what brand I have.

I should add that I live in Tennessee where the labor isn't so bad and my well is only about 90 ft deep so the cost to repair wasn't all that high. Your situation could be different.
    Last edited by keith3267; 07-18-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    I'm not sure why, but my well has two check valves, one after the well head and one underground. If yours is the same, maybe only the one on top is bad and the well won't have to be pulled. My well and pump is older than yours and when the check valve at the pump went bad, my well man recommended just replacing the check valve and not the pump. But he determined that after inspecting the pump. I have no idea what brand I have.

I should add that I live in Tennessee where the labor isn't so bad and my well is only about 90 ft deep so the cost to repair wasn't all that high. Your situation could be different.
    Keith, I may be wrong but I think he is talking about a submersible pump. They have a check valve that is part of the pump.

John

Mine is a submersible pump as well. The well guy replaced two check valves and the pipe that the pump is attached to (it has a crack in it). I wasn't home because of my work schedule at the time so I didn't see it. I don't know if the lower check valve was built into the pump or separate and I don't really care. My well guy fixed it, it didn't cost much and it has worked about 4 years now and still going strong.
    Last edited by keith3267; 07-19-2012 at 09:21 PM.

If its beyond repair, rusted and unable to hold enough pressure, then you have to change it. You can buy a branded submersible pump for sale such as wellmate. They can be made of fiberglass or stainless steel metal.