+ Reply to Thread

Talking stripped hex screw on door handle

Hello,

wondering if anyone can help. i was trying to tighten the door handle but used an electric drill and stripped the hex screw. The screw is located in a hard to reach place (between the handle and the door itself). Door knob is still loose and i feel like it's unsafe (it's the entrance door). Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Default Re: stripped hex screw on door handle

You might try an easy out and replace the screw, you can get them from most hardware and big box stores.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If the door handle is loose, that means you can slip a hacksaw blade in between the screw head and the escutheon, and cut the screw. Once the handle is off, use a pair of pliers to get the rest of the screw out.

Since a hex screw is mentioned, I think the poster may be talking about a locking screw that keeps a handle on, although if I am incorrect, the fix would still work in either case. If the screw is stripped, you may be able to use a small drill bit to drill through whats left of the screw. If this works, you might be able to find a similar thread screw from a hardware store but it may be tricky.

If you're not comfortable with that the only other option may be to use a hacksaw to cut off the handle as mentioned and replace it with a new one.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content