+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plaster Walls

Default Plaster Walls

Hi all! I just bought a 100 year old house. I was hoping to just repair the plaster walls, but after removing the 8 layers of wall paper and paint, the plaster is crumbling and cracking and generally pretty weak. Is this something that can be repaired? Should I take it out and start fresh? Is this something I can do on my own or should I be getting a contractor?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Plaster Walls

At this point, it's your call. There are ways to repair plaster, but at some point it's beyond reasonable to repair. Only you can determine if your plaster is beyond that point.

My guess is that it is, and it's time to remove it. Demolition is something you can definitely do and save money on. Now, here is the biggest advantage of removing the plaster: you get to inspect/repair/upgrade what's inside your walls: inspect the framing, electrical, plumbing, insulation and whatever else you have there, and do all necessary repairs and upgrades.

For new drywall, I'd recomend to get a pro, if you have limited experience. A professional drywall job makes all the difference in the world.