+ Reply to Thread

Default Duplex to Single-Family Home

Looking at buying a 1932 Dutch Colonial 2-story that is currently an upstairs/downstairs duplex. I'd want to convert it back to single family. The downstairs is in great shape (aside from a little kitchen remodel), but the upstairs would need some reconfiguring of rooms to make it the 4 bedroom and 1 full bath my family would need. It has the space for it, and it's structurally sound, but there would be walls removed and replaced, kitchen tear-out, bathroom remodel, etc. We'd have a $30k reno budget. Do you think that would be enough? I'm having a hard time getting cost approximations on the work.

This would be our "forever" home, so I know the work would be worth it. I'm more or less interested in how to make the $30k stretch so we get the space we need. Definitely can do some work ourselves (demo, drywall, paint/ finish work).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Duplex to Single-Family Home

In ambitious projects like yours, always expect the unexpected, and one of them of course, is going over budget. You should have enough in your budget to cover what contractors charge plus allowance and if you do some of the work yourself, you will go under budget.

Get some non-binding estimates to start with. Remember, some walls may be load bearing walls. There are going to be pipes and wires to relocate too, so plan carefully and avoid budget killer changes.

Default Re: Duplex to Single-Family Home

lv2012-

I love unique, challenging reno. projects & it sounds like you have one in this '32 DC. I'll echo the advice from DJ1...espec. starting w/ the non-binding estimates. If you take that advice, you'll have a solid understanding of whether or not $30K will be enough.

To be confident you're making the most of your $, take the time to get plenty of quotes. http://bloodsweatandpigsears.blogspo...et-quotes.html

But, as DJ1 said, you have to be prepared for the unexpected. Be realistic and honest about your time & money estimates from the beginning... then be prepared to double those estimations. http://bloodsweatandpigsears.blogspo...uble-your.html

Blood, Sweat, and Pig's Ears