+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attic wiring

Default Attic wiring

I have a question, the attic in my house has all the wiring exposed, it is basically sitting on the rafters. Can I just cover it with wood so I can use the attic to walk on?

Thanks

Default Re: Attic wiring

No, wiring needs to be protected from chances of nails being driven into it.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You mean the wires are just sitting on the JOISTS. By code they have to be fastened to the joists.

For easy walking/crawling I use pieces of plywood, but never nail/screw them to the joists.

Two questions:

1. How old is your house?

2. What is the wiring like? Does it appear to have a fabric or plastic jacket? How thick/wide is the wire? Is it mounted on insulators?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I am piggying back with my own questions:

(1) My 1964 wiring is AC, but new work done used NM wiring in the attic. Is this OK ?
    I intend to add recess lighting and it would a b*t*h if I had to use AC as I never worked with it or have tools (my day job is sitting behind a desk).
    (2) The NM wiring is mainly loose and not secured to the joists. Also, the workmen separated the (new work) recessed light fixtures from the 1964 insulation, and I can see the fixtures are not tight with the ceiling (I can see the room under the attic).
    I believe fixtures are rated for contact or non-contact w/ insulation, and assume the fixtures are non-contact. Now, the attic floor/kitchen ceiling seems opened to the attic via these fixtures. Should I do anything about this (winter air leaks)??

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by t_manero View Post
    I am piggying back with my own questions:

(1) My 1964 wiring is AC, but new work done used NM wiring in the attic. Is this OK ?
    I intend to add recess lighting and it would a b*t*h if I had to use AC as I never worked with it or have tools (my day job is sitting behind a desk).
    It all depends on local code. I am guessing that AC is not required if the updates was done by a licensed electrician.
    (2) The NM wiring is mainly loose and not secured to the joists. Also, the workmen separated the (new work) recessed light fixtures from the 1964 insulation, and I can see the fixtures are not tight with the ceiling (I can see the room under the attic).
    This statement suggests that the work was not done by a licensed electrician, I would suggest you get an inspection you may need a lot of work done.
    I believe fixtures are rated for contact or non-contact w/ insulation, and assume the fixtures are non-contact. Now, the attic floor/kitchen ceiling seems opened to the attic via these fixtures. Should I do anything about this (winter air leaks)??
    Yes, this is not a proper installation and yes there is contact and non contact type units.
    Thanks.
    Again I would suggest an inspection by a qualified electrician.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb