+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Crumbling Basement Floors

I have a 1914 home in Southern Minnesota that was built by my gr grandparents. We have two rooms in the basement where the concrete is in rough shape. The basements in our neighborhood are notorious for water and the boiler room has quite a bit of water in the spring. We do not have the resources to dig out the floors and repour, but have properly added gutters to the exterior of the home and run a sump pump in the spring.

These rooms will remain a boiler room and laundry room. We have zero intentions of laying any sort of flooring down once this is done. I'm just sick of the dust and nastiness I've been dealing with since childhood. I'm not expecting perfection, but less nasty is appealing.

Has anyone used a self - leveling concrete to correct/repair the basement floor cement in their older homes? I'd like insight into how these products hold up under this type of situation. Or if anyone has additional suggestions.
    Last edited by HHouse; 07-16-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Clarification

Default Re: Crumbling Basement Floors

You have options. One of them is to vac the dust, sweep the pieces of concrete, make needed repairs (self leveling cement is one idea). When done, you can even paint the floor or apply a finish to protect your investment.

Also, check with neighbors for some creative ideas in your area.

Default Re: Crumbling Basement Floors

One thing to think about when considering SLC is how level is the old slab. They are notorious for not being poured level to begin with, and SLC seeks it own (water) level, you could end up not having a controllable situation with the runny cement. If it's very un-level, you might instead consider using a bagged quickcrete stucco mix and troweling it on smooth, level be damned.
    Then, to help the new bond to the old crumbling mess, in either case use a masonry bonding agent; a liquid that is rolled on just before you apply the topcoat. It will ensure that the new has some clean surface to stick to.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.