+ Reply to Thread

Default exterior cedar siding

The exterior cedar siding on my house rests on an approx. 1 inch ledge. The joint between the two isn't calked. The inspector who inspected our house before I bought it said this was a good thing because any moisture accumulating behind the cedar would drain. I just hired a painter to repaint the house and he said this joint should be calked. This house in Ohio is 36 years old and is in good shape. Who is right?

Default Re: exterior cedar siding

The inspector is correct. Lapped siding is supposed to breathe, which is why its lapped and not butted.

Agree, the inspector is right.

Painters buy caulking wholesale by the box. Very cheap.
    So the like to caulk everything. But in this case, the painter was wrong.

Our condominium Association is planning to replace all of our 25 year old pine siding with clear cvg cedar siding even if the pine does not show interior water penetration. The cost is $69,000 a unit as opposed to $50,000 a unit for premium pine. Is there such a siding as premium pine, and is residing all four sides with cedar our best option? The current pine siding is cupping, peeling and splitting and very weathered. Financing the cedar option for all ten buildings will require a $100 a month dues increase, so there has been a great deal of discussion. Thank you for your kind consideration and information.

Sincerely,

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pprevite View Post
    Our condominium Association is planning to replace all of our 25 year old pine siding with clear cvg cedar siding even if the pine does not show interior water penetration. The cost is $69,000 a unit as opposed to $50,000 a unit for premium pine. Is there such a siding as premium pine, and is residing all four sides with cedar our best option? The current pine siding is cupping, peeling and splitting and very weathered. Financing the cedar option for all ten buildings will require a $100 a month dues increase, so there has been a great deal of discussion. Thank you for your kind consideration and information.

Sincerely,

Pat
    You left out important info, but generally speaking, the HOA fee that each condo owner has been paying for 25 years is supposed to cover events like the one you mentioned, and many others.

This illustrates what's wrong with this type of home ownership. Money collected thru the years which is supposed to go to a trust account "for a rainy day", is being squandered away by the association committee all those years, and when a major repair is needed the committee asks for more money. What will be next? a roof assessment? a plumbing fund?

You mentioned that the cost for new cedar siding is $69K per unit, and that seems excessive to me. Who exactly is the winning bidder? a relative/friend of one of the members of the assoc? I smell something rotten here.

Also, there are better choices than wood siding, which is considered high maintenance. Even though you got 25 years out of pine siding, replacing it with another type of siding would be a mistake.

Premium Pine usually means without knots and straight grained and generally comes for older growth trees or carefully farm grown trees. It also comes from the center of the tree. Left unpainted, pine does not last very long. It needs a good coat of paint to protect it and I'm guessing your maintenance people have not been diligent about that. Pine should be primed on all six sides before installing and then two coats of premium paint after.

Cedar will last longer, especially if the maintenance is a bit shoddy, but it is quite a bit more expensive. At $69k per unit, my guess is that there are high end condos and are pretty large. If not, you are getting ripped. There are less expensive and just as, if not more durable alternatives.

There is a PVC board that will last a long time and can be painted. It is very expensive though, it is usually reserved for trim. There is also cement board siding that resembles wood but could be less expensive and more durable, but it might have a small negative impact on your property value if these are high end condos. Not so much, if any, on middle class condos.

And then of course, there is vinyl siding, but that will negatively affect the property value of all but the lowest end condos.