+ Reply to Thread

Default Termite Damage Repair

I have some old termite damage in the 4x6 that sits on top of the foundation wall. I'm concerned it may be compromising the integrity of the wall that rests on it. What kind of contractor should I look for to evaluate and replace if necessary.

Default Re: Termite Damage Repair

A framer to replace it and a drywall/painter to finish.
    With some luck you'll find a person who can do all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    A framer to replace it and a drywall/painter to finish.
    With some luck you'll find a person who can do all of the above.
    Otherwise known as a general contractor.

Any GC worth his salt is well versed in most aspects of construction. We all have our strong suits, certainly, termite damage falls under the basic skills carpenter category, which to be a GC should be just another day at the playground. You will want to look for a GC that specializes in repair of structures, as opposed to new construction or specialties such as kitchen/bath remodels. It's not that these other guys can't handle it, most won't step outside of their niches unless it is part of work they're already doing.

Stay away from "handyman" types, as these are usually guys that have a few years in the trades that are not really very well versed at anything. This is certainly not always the case, but it is a common denominator. You don't want to pay good money for shoddy work, only to have to pay more good money to have it redone properly.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 07-15-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Just a note:

Extracting a window/door header or other similar members requires installing suffeicient temporary supprt, while in process. Make sure your framer does exactly that, to avoid further structual damage.