+ Reply to Thread

Default How Do I Tell What Type of Paint Is On My Woodwork?

My friend and I recently painted the walls of my living room and dining room, and she made a comment to me. She said for the trim I need to be sure I get the right kind of paint. She said if I paint over the trim with the wrong paint, it will just peel off. Speaking of peeling off, the paint on my bathroom door is peeling off in large sheets Was this a case of someone using the wrong paint? So, how do I know what type of paint is on my woodwork and what type of paint I am supposed to use to paint my trim

Default Re: How Do I Tell What Type of Paint Is On My Woodwork?

Normally oil based paints are used for trim as oil had a harder more durable finish than latex paints. Since latex paints do not 'grab' onto oil paint, it will peel off just like yours. Now that latex paints have improved, we use latex for trim work.

To paint over oil paint;

Sand down the old paint and use a good primer rated for use over oil paint such as Zinsser BIN or 123.

OR

Use oil based paint.

Default Re: How Do I Tell What Type of Paint Is On My Woodwork?

You also asked why your bathroom door is peeling. If it's peeling inside the bathroom, you nay have no or inadaquate ventilation in the bathroom.