+ Reply to Thread

Smile Opinion of paint for kitchen cabinets

The contractor I am using has suggested Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo paint for my kitchen cabinets. They are wood & have been painted before. It's an old house built in the 50's. My
    other question is the walls are plaster and have area's that don't seem to take the paint well. It seems like some places are spotting (darker) than they should be (the existing paint) or else some spots are soaking in the paint more than others. (?)
    The ceilings are those small (fiberboard)? tiles that are in good condition, but I want to paint them. He said he could just
    use a primer (KILZ) & paint. I'm worried they may soak up the
    paint. Would that happen if primed?
    Thanks for any & all help.

Default Re: Opinion of paint for kitchen cabinets

I just painted old cabinets in a house built in the 50s, with Valspar High Gloss/bright white, and the results are magnificent: I cleaned the cabinets (doors and drawers), sanded where it needed sanding, primed and applied 1 coat of this high gloss paint. It took 2 quarts, that's all.

As far as your other two questions, let the painting contractors on this forum advise you.

In old houses with Plaster walls, the reason your paint may not be sticking is because an oil based paint was used at some time and if your using a waterbased paint...its not going to stick well and that will happen.
    and for those tiles I would listen to your contractor about it.

ABigMess,

Benjamin Moore's Oil Satin Impervo was my mainstay during my contracting years. It is a fine product. Oil finishes are still my preference for cabinetry and furniture repainting. They dry much harder than acrylic/latex paints, not having that gummy feeling to them. Oil also levels itself extremely well.The main downside is that oil alkyd whites tend to yellow with age.

Without seeing it, I can't say what the "spotting" is on your walls.However, a good cleaning and a primer coat fixes most ills.

Your ceiling tiles will take paint nicely after a primer coat. The primer coat may not even be neccessary if they are still clean and unstained and you are using a low sheen paint. However, it never hurts to prime!