+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default What hinges setup to use sash as window?

Hello all- I have a plain (ugly) new garden shed that needs some character and some ventilation! I also have one divided light wood window sash from my childhood home. Can anyone offer suggestions on what style hinges would work so that I could turn it into an awning style operable window in my garden shed? I'd like it to open outward from the bottom. I am hoping for something more vintage than modern, no fancy springs to hold it open needed.

So far, the guys who built the shed framed in an opening the exact size of the sash, 30"hx26"w. The opening is wood frame, 2x4 construction. For the hinges etc, the frame of the sash dimensions are 2 7/8" "wide" on the sides and 1" tall on one horizontal, 1 5/8" tall on the other horizontal and all 1 1/4" thick. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you

Default Re: What hinges setup to use sash as window?

Loose-pin butt hinges. And a notched stick to hold it open.
    It would vent the shed even more efficiently if it pivoted open along the center line. To do this you would have to carefully drill holes for bolts, or locate the specialized hardware. The stops also need to be handled differently.

Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Excellent suggestion. Your picture helps me get going. I found some hardware by googling center pivot window hardware. Thanks much!

It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.