+ Reply to Thread

Default Can't remove marks from new lumber

Remove these marks from my Redwood Decking.
    I bought Redwood boards from the lumber store and they have these black marks all over them. It seems all the boards have these marks to some degree or another, I picked the best ones. I have tried the suggestions that I have found in other posts, but the marks are still there.
    I want to stain the deck with Penefin, which I tested a piece and the ink or mildew still shows thru. I have sanded with 60 grit, then 150 grit, and finally 220 grit paper. It feels good and looks good too, but the marks still peek thru, errr!

Any ideas that haven't been posted in other posts?
    --Thx

Default Re: Can't remove marks from new lumber

Try Mr Clean's Magic Eraser on a scrap pc.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Redwood can turn blackish when it comes in contact with caustic substances, such as paint strippers. The remedy is to treat it with an acid such as oxalic acid, which is in most deck cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Try Mr Clean's Magic Eraser on a scrap pc.
    so far,
    the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser seems to work better then anything else I have tried. Still not there yet...

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Redwood can turn blackish when it comes in contact with caustic substances, such as paint strippers. The remedy is to treat it with an acid such as oxalic acid, which is in most deck cleaners.
    Oxalic acid and sanding were the first two things I tried, but the marks still came thru. I tested bleach which cleaned up the other crud very well, and yet, the marks are still there.
    I was at another site to day and they had the same problem. and they had gotten their lumber at a different yard. so I'm thinking it all comes from the same two or three mills.
    All the other times I have used redwood it was for fences or it was going to be painted, and I just never stopped to look at the marks. They just seemed to go away after a few months

If it were me, these would be my options:

1. Wait for the redwood to weather a bit.

2. Try a stain, other than clear, which will cover the markings. Stains come in various colors.

3. Replace the marked board.

When buying redwood boards and planks for a deck, unlike redwood for fencing, appearance is important, therefore you need to select your boards carefully. Spending a little more time at the lumber yard can save you a lot of time later, as you can see from your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    If it were me, these would be my options:

1. Wait for the redwood to weather a bit.

2. Try a stain, other than clear, which will cover the markings. Stains come in various colors.

3. Replace the marked board.

When buying redwood boards and planks for a deck, unlike redwood for fencing, appearance is important, therefore you need to select your boards carefully. Spending a little more time at the lumber yard can save you a lot of time later, as you can see from your experience.
    Very true, although I did look thru two(2) 'lots' of boards to find the best ones. I should have just went somewhere else when I saw how bad they were, in steed of thinking I could clean them up.

Live and learn.

Next project, go to another store, unless you get the bad lumber at 90% off.

Done 'N' Done! I just went back to the oxalic acid and let it sit a little longer after scrubbing. it cleaned up nicely and I'm installing the deck.
    Thank you all for your input!