+ Reply to Thread

Question To Seal or Not to Seal?

Our beautiful flagstone patio was installed 1.5 years ago. The hardscaper said no to my request to seal it. He said it was unnecessary and I would just be wasting my money. Since that time, I have seen what look to be permanent stains here and there. Stains left from lawn chairs, tiremarks from a commercial lawnmower (almost gone after treating with baking soda), and stains from natural droppings from the sky just to name a few.

Is there any reason it should not be sealed (any disadvantages)? It looks like it will eventually be ruined from stains if I don't seal it. I am thinking that sealing will preserve the clean new look before it becomes unsightly.

I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Default Re: To Seal or Not to Seal?

The company I work for has only sealed one natural stone patio (bluestone) out of the countless ones we have installed. Sealing will help protect from some,but not all, stains. The down side to sealing is 1 surface will become slippery when wet and 2 you will have to reseal every couple years depending on what type of sealer you use.

Count my vote for 'not to seal' as well, for the reasons JT mentioned.

Weather breaks down quickly any seal you put down. Save your money, time and labor and don't seal.

Now, sealing indor tiles/masonry is a good idea.

Smile Re: To Seal or Not to Seal?

I'm a tile installer and make concrete crafts. The true purpose of a sealer is only as a waterproofing agent and to enhance the color w/the rich, wet look. Depending on the type, it's meant for grout lines and interior use, leaving a microthin residue on the surface. Having the aesthetics of the wet look is not practical to walk on, it's slick when it's actually wet. Hope you didn't ignore the contractor's advice. He was right, just wasn't so tactful.

IF you decide to seal, try to find something that has a non-slip additive.
    Good Luck