+ Reply to Thread

Default Garage door clearance

I have a two car detached garage surrounded by yard except for the front which has a gravel driveway leading into the garage. The gravel driveway is higher than the floor of the garage and there is a slight dip going into the garage. I have drainage so that isn't the problem.

I want to raise the floor of the garage higher to elimate some of the dip from the drivway to the garage floor.

I have an automatic garage door opener. If I raise the garage floor will the door have to be adjusted for the shorter door opening?

I have attached two photos, one open and one closed.

Default Re: Garage door clearance

Can't be done with your existing door.

It will be easier and more sensible to re-grade your gravel driveway.

Re-grading the driveway to the garage floor level is not feasible since doing so would put the driveway below the road and the run off would cause a water problem and also cause a dip from the road to driveway.

What is your reasoning that the garage door could not be adjusted to allow for a lower clearance if the floor is brought up to driveway level?

Picture attached to show slope from road to garage floor.

I don't see any attached photos, but I think if you raise the floor, you will have to raise the door an equal amount.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    I don't see any attached photos, but I think if you raise the floor, you will have to raise the door an equal amount.
    More accurately, the door tracks will need to be raised an equal amount. Now, the top panel may not look right in relation to the door frame when the door is raised to accommodate the raised floor. You can purchase shorter panels and change out the top panel, that is, if the door isn't too old and from a major brand.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Question: how high do you want to raise your garage floor?

Your answer will simplify our answers.