+ Reply to Thread

Default Preventing Water Pipes under Kitchen Ovehang from freezing

I have hot and cold water (1/2" copper) lines going from my basement over the wall between the joists and then then rising above through the floor of the kitchen overhang. I have 1/2" plywood covering the bottom of the overhang. To prevent the pipes from freezing, I am placing 3-1/2" R-13 insulation on top of the 1/2 " plywood and below the pipes. I am also placing the same insulation between the pipes and the outside wall as well as on either side of the pipes between the joists. I am leaving the pipes exposed to the inside of the basement and the bottom of the kitchen overhang (floor) so that the warmth of the basement/kitchen floor keeps the pipes from freezing. I have also put foam insulation on the pipes. Would this work? Would the foam insulation be a hindrance?

I originally had polybutylene pipes and did not have any problem for the past 20 years. I got rid of these and used copper instead with shark bite fittings when I did some remodeling.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Mithu

Default Re: Preventing Water Pipes under Kitchen Ovehang from freezing

The best way to protect them from freezing is run them as close to the floor as possible. Place all your insulation below the lines. You don,t want any insulation above the lines. As this will insulate them from the heated area. Be sure the plywood under the over hang fits tight to prevent cold air from entering the space.

John

Default Re: Preventing Water Pipes under Kitchen Ovehang from freezing

Thanks. This is exactly what I was trying to do. I intend to use silicone caulk to fill any gaps in the plywood under the overhang.

Mithu