+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tv shuts off...

Default tv shuts off...

Sometimes, when we unplug anything plugged into one of the living room outlets without first turning it off (like the window box fan, the vacumn or the fan on the wood stove) or, on a couple occasions, if we pull the chain on the ceiling fan too rapidly, the TV goes off. Usually it goes off for a second and comes back on. This only happens in the living room and only with the tv. The weird thing is that the satellite receiver doesn't turn off and both it and the tv are plugged into a power strip which is pluged into a two plug monster surge protector (not the big spendy one but the cheaper two plug type). The tv is a flat screen LCD. Any suggestions?

Default Re: tv shuts off...

Some electronics are sensative to power surges. Apprently your TV is very sensative. Perhaps watching more football or nascar will help. If not, exchange it for a new TV.

Quote Originally Posted by showmeoz View Post
    Sometimes, when we unplug anything plugged into one of the living room outlets without first turning it off (like the window box fan, the vacumn or the fan on the wood stove) or, on a couple occasions, if we pull the chain on the ceiling fan too rapidly, the TV goes off. Usually it goes off for a second and comes back on. This only happens in the living room and only with the tv. The weird thing is that the satellite receiver doesn't turn off and both it and the tv are plugged into a power strip which is pluged into a two plug monster surge protector (not the big spendy one but the cheaper two plug type). The tv is a flat screen LCD. Any suggestions?
    The surge strips have Metal Oxide Varistors (MOV's) in them which for 120V branch circuits are usually 130V. If they see a surge greater than that they conduct (similar to a short) to lower the voltage to less than 130V, for a very brief time.

When you pull a plug you may be causing a surge which will trip the strip.

Try removing the strip to see if it's the culprit.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Thanks for the advice. I was relieved that you both thought it was the tv and not the house wiring. The tv does seem to be very sensitive and the HDM1 plug already burned out on this thing over a "power surge" that even the phone could handle! I'll try removing the power strip. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by showmeoz View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I was relieved that you both thought it was the tv and not the house wiring. The tv does seem to be very sensitive and the HDM1 plug already burned out on this thing over a "power surge" that even the phone could handle! I'll try removing the power strip. Thanks!
    The burned out HDMI plug is very disturbing. An old audio trick is to plug all devices in a system into the same circuit to reduce hum etc. A burned out signal wire like HDMI or co-ax tells me you may have a grounding issue in your power and the signal cable was trying to provide a ground fault path before it burned out.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

The HDMI "burned out" or did it just stop working? Can you see burn marks? If it simply stopped working, it may be the HDMI controller, not the plug. If a power surge was the source of the fault, then the damage is probably in the controller and not the plug.

This happens all the time here in the boston area, voltage spikes and drops are very common, first i would check the voltage at your outlets around the home, if you have between 115-125 volts you are probably ok. I have had some customers burn up some high end electronics that were very expensive due to spikes, even with surge protection, now when i do a high end install we include a apc line converter with battery back up, never had a problem since in the last few years, i would reccommend this if your electronics are very sensitive, the apc devices are not very expensive if you only need a line voltage conditioner and a short amount of battery back up, now most electronics are connected together through hdmi, computer, tv, audio, wireless, etc. Good Luck!