+ Reply to Thread

Default My current deck sways!

Hi Guys,

I currently have a deck that sways pretty bad when people are walking on it. Currently, the deck is supported by 4x4 post. I added blocking a couple of years ago to try to prevent the swaying. Any suggestions on what to do next? Attached are some pictures of the deck

Regards,

Pat
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Patrick Presti; 07-12-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Default Re: My current deck sways!

From your photos, I believe that your deck is poorly supported by these posts and I bet you built it without a permit .

A second floor deck needs better support and better bracing. From the photos I guess that your deck is 12' - 16' wide, and that the 4x4 posts and bracings are not doing a good job.

If it were mine, I'd replace the posts and bracing with new 6x6 lumber:

1. you can replace them one at a time, by installing new simpson anchors in concrete (the depth depends on your local code). While you are replacing each post, support that section of the deck with a heavy duty jack, so the deck doesn't collapse.

2. remove the existing bracings and install new 6x6 bracings, attached with 4 lugs each.

3. Install additional bracings, in the shape of X, under the deck.

I looked at photos again, and there is something else I don't like: the beam and the way it's secured.

If you can't do all the modifications, get a deck builder to do them, for a solid, safe deck to code.

Once you accomplish that, have a big party, but don't let 80 people on the deck, at one time...

I agree a deck that high should have 6x6 post.
    The bracing at the posts looks pretty, but not very structural.
    The beams just setting on the posts isn't good. The should be bolted through the posts.
    I wonder about the attachment to the house too.

Keep everyone off the thing until a competent builder has a look at it. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen and if there was no inspection or permit issued, then you homeowners insurance could deny any claim.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmithny View Post
    Keep everyone off the thing until a competent builder has a look at it. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen and if there was no inspection or permit issued, then you homeowners insurance could deny any claim.
    That goes without saying, it's as basic as 1 2 3.

i completely agree with dj, any time a deck has movement in it its due to be understructured or the builder skimped on fasteners.

the only movement you should notice on a new deck is very mimimal bounce and no lateral movement, this is just do to mild deflection of the joists

as for the posts, 4x4 posts arent accepted by code for supporting the deck, support posts must be 6x6. however you can use 4x4's for handrail posts
    fire up the saw and make some dust