+ Reply to Thread

Default Growing Toamtoes in pots

I have tomatoes planted in large flower pots some were alreqady planted they are growing great one plant had tomatoes already growing one started to turn red and was doing great all of a sudden tomatoe was not totally ripe it became soft and began to dry up as it was over ripeand top was still greenish yellow so two more started to turn ripe than before totally red one again started to get a soft spot and skin became loose I picked them both and put in refrigerator the one had no soft spots but after two days it began to do the same thing get real soft I cut both open the green seemed ok and tasting a small part that had rippen correctly tasted great what can I do and what is causing this to happen I have 4 other plants that had no tamatoes on them when we bought them they have flowers and are beginning to grow tomatoes so I don't want the same thing to happen. Please help any help will be great.
    Last edited by Donald Fredrick; 07-10-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: need to make a correction

Default Re: Growing Toamtoes in pots

Tomatoes love sun, heat, good soil and water, no matter if in the ground, in pots or hanging. Tomatoe food is good too once in a while.

I pick mine, which are in the ground, when they just start to become red (because I'm in a race with a pesky squirrel) and let them sit on the counter top for a few days. All varieties taste heavenly.

Tomato plants love sun, tomatoes not so much. It could be sunscald. Tomato plants should have enough leaves to cover the tomatoes, but sometimes they don't. Some varieties are more prone to this than others.

I am having the same problem with my Brandywine tomatoes, so I pick them when the bottoms turn pink and let them ripen in the kitchen. They taste just as good as the ones that ripen on the vine. Once they are half red, they pretty much don't need the vine to finish. They have gotten everything they need from the plant and are just hanging around.

I also grow Sweet 100 that I let ripen on the vine. These I pick and eat while I'm in the garden. They are like little pieces of candy to me. Two plants make more tomatoes than I can eat, but I don't worry about the ones that go to waste. It takes at least a dozen Brandywine plants to satisfy my taste for tomato sandwiches.

In my Texas climate, I move potted tomatoes to the east side of the house in summer. Lots of sun, but not in the afternoon.

Make sure the pots have holes to prevent overwatering.