+ Reply to Thread

Default Search ID expires too quickly

After my last complaint of too many categories making it too hard to find new posts, you guys suggested that I use the "New Posts" function, which had never noticed before. I use it now every time I visit here, but the Search ID seems to expire after about an hour.

I have a slow internet connection (Sprint data, about 120 kbps) and a slow typing speed so I often do not get to all the posts I want to see during that hour. Could you extend the timer for this function?

If extending the timer is not practical, then could "New Posts" be a drop box for members who are signed in where they can select between "new posts since last visit" and "last 24 hours"
    Last edited by keith3267; 07-10-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: add last paragraph

Default Re: Search ID expires too quickly

Same thing happens to me on occasion, particularly if I get called away from the computer. The work-around is to open each thing you are interested in viewing in another tab or window, this way you never lose the original search page no matter how long you're on it.

When you're done with your answers, then you can refresh the "new posts" page and start over. There is a "new posts" tab in the center of the tool bar below your user name, this will refresh new posts since your last visit. I actually have this page as my TOH home page, so it's the only page I ever see unless I need to go out to the main forum listing for some reason.

I do agree with you about needing a button to look at "past 24 hours" posts. That would be very helpful.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'm new here, but was playing around with the board. If you log out, instead of "New Posts," there is a link to "Today's Post" which shows you all of the posts in 24 hours. Once you log back in again, you can still see all posts within the last 24 hours. Maybe this will help until they change the board

Keith - actually, this search link might work for you while you are still logged in to get the 24 hrs posts. It worked for me:

https://advice.thisoldhouse.com/search.php?do=getdaily
    Last edited by newoldhouse; 07-10-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: added search link

newoldhouse, thanks. I see it under quick links. I'll use it when my search ID expires, as it probably about to do now.