+ Reply to Thread

Default Ez-Drain French Drain System

At Lowes as well as my local hardware store (McLendon's), they are selling Ez-Drain, a french drain system that basically seems like styrofoam peanuts surrounding a corrugated plastic drainage pipe encased in mesh sock. It's then buried under the soil - no need for gravel. My questions are:

Anyone have any experience with this or recommend this?
    Also, seems like a simple concept - can I simply make this myself rather than buying it retail? (i.e. just buy some peanuts and use some landscape fabric as a sock around a corrugated pipe?)

Thanks!

Default Re: Ez-Drain French Drain System

It would be way too much work to do all of that yourself. Your labor is worth money. Use the prefab French drain and save yourself all of that labor. Some factory worker put all that together and he does that all day long every day so would do it about three times faster then you. Keep him employed.

Quote Originally Posted by crosstraining View Post
    At Lowes as well as my local hardware store (McLendon's), they are selling Ez-Drain, a french drain system that basically seems like styrofoam peanuts surrounding a corrugated plastic drainage pipe encased in mesh sock. It's then buried under the soil - no need for gravel. My questions are:

Anyone have any experience with this or recommend this?
    Thanks!
    I've also seen them at Home Despot; I think it sells for about $40 for a 8-feet section. It's looks elegant, but I suspect it's for contractors & DIY who want to do the quick project and don't care about longevity. Styrofoam peanuts ? I don't think they're biodegradable, but they can't compare to rocks that should last several limetimes of ownership, but hey, I don't know.

The big money is the trenching . . . if you have to bury anything (deep) in the ground or in the walls, I say use the best components/techniques available. You owe it to yourself (and future owners) not to use cheap components that fail before good standards and cost a fortune to re-do for the unlucky current owner.

Their website is: www dot ndspro.com/drainage-systems/french-drains/ez-drain-french-drain

It's quite fascinating....don't know if anyone's tried it, but it does look quite durable.