+ Reply to Thread

Wink Exterior paint- what to choose

I live in a wood sided house that the siding is stained, no caulk at all. I want to paint it this summer and was wondering about many things.

1. What type and/or brand of paint and primer should I use and how many coats of primer? Obviously I would like to not paint again for at least 6-8 years.

2. What type of caulk?

3. I assume I need to pressure wash the entire exterior, right?

4. Should I brush paint or spray the house?

Default Re: Exterior paint- what to choose

Quote Originally Posted by broncojohn99 View Post
    I live in a wood sided house that the siding is stained, no caulk at all. I want to paint it this summer and was wondering about many things.

1. What type and/or brand of paint and primer should I use and how many coats of primer? Obviously I would like to not paint again for at least 6-8 years.
    A good name brand like Sherwin Williams or Benjamen Moore. Spaying apply at least two coats of primer, brush on can be done with one coat.

2. What type of caulk?
    Paintable caulk .
    3. I assume I need to pressure wash the entire exterior, right?
    Clean and preped siding would be best. If you power wash always hold the sprayer pointing down so you don't force water up under the siding.
    4. Should I brush paint or spray the house?
    I prefer brush but that's up to you.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Bronco,

Just a few thoughts in addition to JLM's:

1. All the major paint manufacturers make multiple lines of paint. Make sure you are getting the top of the line. To buy cheap paint is penny wise and pound foolish. I am from the old school and still prefer a brushed on coat of oil primer, followed by a top coat of 100% acrylic housepaint. Acrylic breathes better than oil and is far more color fast.

2. I personally prefer a polyurethane caulk over the acrylic varieties. Urethane has great adhesion and remains pliable. It is paintable after 24 hours. It has a heavier body than acrylic and can close a wider gap. Unfortunately, it is not water soluable, but this sometimes works to your advantage because it will not wash off if a sudden rainstorm occurs. Indeed, urethanes need moisture to cure. Finally, caulking is done AFTER the prime coat.

3. All field dust and mildew needs to be removed from the surfaces to be painted, especially those areas which never get rinsed by rain, such as under the eaves. I always sprayed on a combination of household bleach and Ivory dishwashing liquid through my power washer. Ivory is a soap and will not damage anything, as do some detergents. Its main purpose was to suds up and indicate to me that the bleach had hit every surface. Let the bleach and Ivory do the work, followed by a good rinsing. You do not need to bear down on the siding with the power washer.

4. I am with JLM. I prefer to roll and brush out both primer and finish coat. If you decide to spray, be sure to back brush at least the primer to assure a physical bonding of the primer to the substrate. A rolled/brushed primer and finish coat should be adequate to cover and protect your siding. If there is to be a strong color change, have the paint store tint the primer toward the finish color.

I am not an advocate of needlessly building up the paint film. Although acrylic breathes far better than oil paints, each coat of paint further restricts water vapor generated within the house from migrating through the walls from the inside to the exterior. If the house can't breathe, dry rot may occur in the walls and the paint might peel.

I just obtained 3 quotes for painting the exterior of my house. The painter who provided the last, and highest cost quote, stated that brushing (primer AND finish coat) is better because spraying provides a coating that is too thin to adequately protect the house and to last. Thoughts anyone? The painters that spray both back brush the paint.
    Regarding primer, is oil-based preferable/better? We have cedar shakes siding with lots of mildew

Quote Originally Posted by kimlou View Post
    I just obtained 3 quotes for painting the exterior of my house. The painter who provided the last, and highest cost quote, stated that brushing (primer AND finish coat) is better because spraying provides a coating that is too thin to adequately protect the house and to last. Thoughts anyone? The painters that spray both back brush the paint.
    The point of brushing is to lay on a thicker coat and force the paint into the pores of the siding. This is the same thing that back-rolling does. Most painters will spray to get the material onto the wall, then back-roll to even and embed the paint in the siding. If the painter is worth their salt, they'll apply a minimum of two coats of color, back-rolling both.
    Regarding primer, is oil-based preferable/better? We have cedar shakes siding with lots of mildew
    Refer to Ordjen's post above.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the info on spraying. Apparently morris county NJ painters are not worth their salt, based on the 3 estimates I obtained. All 3 quoted spot prime, full prime 1 coat and 1 finish coat.

Cool Re: Exterior paint- what to choose

Thanks for the info on spraying. Apparently morris county NJ painters are not worth their salt, based on the 3 estimates I obtained. All 3 quoted spot prime, full prime 1 coat and 1 finish coat.
    There is nothing wrong with that, it comes down to what you want, you can ask for two finish coats from any painting contractors and they will do it. It is just a matter of money. How much are you willing to spend? usually a second coat will cost about 25% more.

Steve Bolduc LA