+ Reply to Thread

Default How to create an oystershell driveway out of sand?

I live near the ocean, where sand is a fact of daily life and gets everywhere. My driveway is sand, my yard is sand, the bane of my existence is sand. I'd like to create a better driveway. Oystershell driveways are both beautiful and historically correct for my Cape style home. Any thoughts on getting started? My initial inclination is to spread a couple layers of Tbase, compacting between layers, then get gravel delivered, then finish with the crushed shells. Thanks for your help in advance!

Default Re: How to create an oystershell driveway out of sand?

Your plan sounds interesting. Why don't you do it and send us photos?

I once was in Florida and I noticed seashells in concrete. This could be another idea for you.

Default Re: How to create an oystershell driveway out of sand?

In this area a base would be ROC or it is also known as CRUSH AN RUN. this base material is lime stone which is made up of sea shells ,sark teeth and oyster shell.It is mined for the concrete plants in the area.Put a 4 inch layer of the above than use a lime stone aggreate with oyster shells also layer these and compact each layer.This will give you a drive almost as hard as concrete. It can be refreshed and regraded as required with Lime stone aggreate and more shells if needed.