+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice for bathroom wall repair and exhaust fan replacement

I'm trying to fix my bathroom, which desperately needs a lot of work. I have never done anything like this before so I have been reading a lot of things on the 'net. The tiles from mid wall down to the tub have buckled because of water damage so I took all of them out and the wall came off with them. I removed all of the damaged area and now I have a huge gaping hole revealing the woodwork behind. I have a fan drying the wood, so I want to start repairing as soon as everything is dry. One of the small boards is very water damaged, but I plan on adding a supporting board right underneath it. I have been researching a lot of things, and right now I'm confused if I should use green board or cement backer board for the wall. The water from the shower does hit the wall a bit so this wall will get a little wet each day. Also after I repair the wall, I need to replace the exhaust fan because it really doesn't do anything and mold has started growing on the ceiling. Ideally I want to keep the housing intact and just swap out the fan and motor, but this fan is probably older than I am. Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Advice for bathroom wall repair and exhaust fan replacement

Before you start, there's a lot to learn to keep your project under budget.

Here's a good advice: go to jonbridgetileforum, which contains a lot of helping info.

From reading some of your plans I can see that you need to do some more reading.

Of course, if you find the info overwhelming at any time, you can get bids from bathroom remodelers. Sometimes letting the pros do it can come out cheaper.

BTW, treating the mold should be a priority.

One more thing: inspecting the framing and bringing it to an acceptable condition is also a priority.

Neither green drywall nor cement board are waterproof.

The proper spelling is

John Bridge Tile Forum.

I've met John a number of times. He's a nice guy and uses the H.

i just want to replace my bathroom wall and ceiling fan, but i don't have any perfect idea how to do that. actually my bathroom is constructed out of my home and the wall of bathroom is attached to my home and i just want to replace it because would face a lot of trouble of it so finally i just want to change the place of wall but i am confused about how to do this because construct a new wall and ceiling fan is connected to that wall so i just want to know a perfect suggestion how to change the place of wall and re construct a new wall.

i just want to replace my bathroom wall and ceiling fan, but i don't have any perfect idea how to do this. actually my bathroom is constructed out of my home and the wall of bathroom is attached to my home and i just want to replace it, because i would face a lot of trouble of it,and finally i just want to change the place of wall but i am confused about how to do and exhaust fan is connected to that wall so i just want to know a perfect suggestion how to change the place of wall, exhaust fan and re construct a new wall.

Frederica,

You need to contact a contractor, a person with a vision, a person who can translate your ideas into reality.

You see, I read your question twice, and I still don't know what you want to do. When you call someone, be more accurate and specific with what exactly you want to do.

Good luck.

I'm confused. Is Imnissen and Frederica the same poster with a log on issue or two different posters with essentially the same problem?

As for the original post, Use cement board, but it is not waterproof. You do need some help here to understand how it is done right. I have not visited the website mentioned, but the best book on the subject that I have seen is "Setting Tile" by Michael Byrne.

The likelihood of finding a new fan and motor to fit your old housing is probably pretty slim, but you might be able to find someone who could repair your old motor. There is a good chance that it just needs to have the bushings cleaned and lubricated.