+ Reply to Thread

Default help ID 1950's insulation batt

I'm trying to repair (subterranian) termite damage in a 1950's mid-century modern house (south Texas). It was an active infestation near a window on an exterior wall. I had quite a bit of wallboard damage and wanted to look at the studs and the window framing. There is some damage, but I think structurally it is sound, based on what I have uncovered so far.

As I was removing the sheetrock, it appears that the black paper covering the insulating batts is quite damaged from the termite tunnels. I've stopped work, until I can identify the insulation and determine if it is asbestos. The ceiling has blown in cellulose insulation, but this appears to be some sort of fiberglass or rockwool substance. I've looked for pictures of asbestos insulation but can only find pictures of pipe wrapping, which does not look like this. I think it may be rockwool based on a few pictures I've found, but in the small section I've removed the sheetrock from I see no manufacturing labels.

Does any one recognize this insulation?

Default Re: help ID 1950's insulation batt

I am anxious to find out what type of insulation that is also, I just discovered the same thing in my 1954 house. I have not been able to find anything that is close to it except the rock wool either.