+ Reply to Thread

Default Wood Siding on a 1902 House

I am wondering if it is possible/reasonable to replace only one side of a house's wooden siding at a time. The problem is the indecision as to which route is the best for the longevity of the house and our pocket book. We could afford to replace one side at this time but is this even feasible?

Built in 1902 and purchased in 1973, my parents refurbished the house during the 70s keeping everything as original as they could; unfortunately time has taken its toll. The houseís tongue and groove siding is mainly the original with some of it being replaced in the 1920s as far as we can tell. The weather side of the house is rotting out; however, it has two layers of siding between which water has begun to enter the house. There is no sheeting or moisture barrier underneath the siding and the blown in insulation has begun to sink; obviously this needs to be remedied. The windows are also the old sash weight with original glass covered over with storm windows; these will need replaced also. It is terribly overwhelming and I donít know where to start or what to go with.
    Sincerely, Allison

Default Re: Wood Siding on a 1902 House

Simply put, the answer to your question is yes.

But I wouldn't do the siding in stages. I would do it all at once, for obvious reasons, and if money is an issue, I'd save or borrow money to do it all at once.

The sooner you do it, the less damage you are going to have. Think of it as your body's skin. If your skin is broken, do you say: "I'll see a doctor when I have money?" or do you say: "I'll see a doctor right away?".

As far as the order of repairs, windows should be replaced right before the sidings.

Fayette County, Ohio

Default Re: Wood Siding on a 1902 House

Yes you can replace one side at a time and it is often done. Sometimes it is due to storm damage, the weather side fails while other sides remain in good shape, etc.

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb