+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raised Beds

Default Raised Beds

Is it ok to create raised beds where trees are? The trunks of the trees would be in the raised bed 1-2ft. deep. They are cotton wood trees. Thanks for any help on this problem!

Default Re: Raised Beds

What will you grow in the raised beds? How much shade do you have under the trees?

You say trunks, but do you mean the stump of a removed tree or are you trying to bury the base of an existing tree?

Big difference between the two. You can bury a stump and let nature takes its course and disintegrate it over time or you can dig the sucker out of the ground and have a clean slate. I've used both methods with great success.

If you are trying to create a raised bed around an existing tree, you will kill the tree if you bury the crown (just above the root base) of the tree below dirt or mulch. In a situation like this it is best to either NOT create a raised bed around the existing tree, or start from scratch and install the bed at whatever elevation you like and then plant a new tree in the space.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you so much for your help. My husband was afraid, like you said, that it would kill our trees. We will come up with a new plan!

Like I said, you don't want to bury the crown. Another thought is that you can build your raised bed, but leave a well around the tree itself. I've done this as well, with good results, however it does look a little funny to have your trees sitting in a hole.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I had a massive sinkhole develop 3 years back. I filled it with rocks, gravel & soil. Last year it opened again only this time it was even larger and several feet wider underground. Turns out that when the house was built (early 70's) they buried all the trees they took down. It cost me over $2000 to have them removed & the hole filled - repairs to the rest of the yard another $300. If you can, I recommend getting out as much as possible an don't just bury it. Dependent on the tree the roots can be very deep & wide spreading