+ Reply to Thread

Default windows and water damage

Hi,

I recently bought a 100 year old brick house and am still getting adjusted to the surprises of home ownership Just today when moving an old bookshelf, I noticed that there were signs of water on the wall. There are streaks of "puffiness" right below the window and another patch a few feet away. (Hopefully the pictures will clarify this description..)

Are there any suggestions on how to find the cause of this?

So far, I looked at the outside of the window, and it looks like the outside sill (wood) is rotten in places and the caulking is loose. There are a few small cracks in the exterior brick around the windows..am I on the right track with figuring this out?

I posted some pictures here:
    http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/sentita/

Thank you again for your advice one more time
    Senta
    Last edited by newoldhouse; 07-15-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Default Re: windows and water damage

Looks to me like the outside subsill was replaced a while ago, without enough overhang to shed water. You need a 3/4" to 1" overhang (and a drip groove) so the water drips clear of the brick. It's letting in water; the "puffy" areas are water damaged plaster. A proper sill replacement is needed.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I'm with Casey on this one, someone did a hack job replacing that sill before and shoved a 2x4 in there.

The new sill needs to be sloped as well. Look at the other windows to see how its done. If not, find a neighbors house that was taken care of.

Ah, the joys of home ownership.

Thanks, Casey and Houston - that sounds about right. Everything was 'renovated' in 2004 right before the previous owners bought the house. The house passed inspection flawlessly...
    However, I'm suspecting now that there were shortcuts taken. My first clue was going down the basement and finding a painted piece of newspaper covering up crumbling rocks in a window sill. I'm just trying to figure out what, how, and who can fix these things now. Where's Holmes knocking on your door when you need him in real life???

If you can, find new sill material made from Fypon or Aztek which are very dense foam products that can be painted and milled like wood but never rot

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    If you can, find new sill material made from Fypon or Aztek which are very dense foam products that can be painted and milled like wood but never rot

Thanks, I'll check it out to see if I can use either of them. I'm in a historic district with strict guidelines on materials we can use on the outside - usually have to replace with "like kind"- but it's worth a try.