+ Reply to Thread

Default New Garage Door Insulation? Materials?

Hi,

I hope this is the right area to post this. I'm on a fixed income and the -last- thing I needed right now was to buy a new garage door. But apparently I'm buying a new garage door.

(One of the torsion springs on my perfectly good slab wood door broke the other day (not even the spring---rather, just the collar by which it bolts to the door. I called 10 places and NO ONE in Seattle sells or repairs old springs anymore. ARGHHH! What a scam! OK, cleansing breath. )

Q #1: I got quotes from several companies. One company is by -far- the cheapest, though the actual 16'x7' metal -door- they install seems to be comparable to everyone else. I was told by a neighbor that all single layer doors are pretty much the same. And the reviews of the company's installer seem good. I guess my first question is: is this true? IOW: is there much qualitative difference between brands?

Q #2: Assumging this door is OK, my real question is: my neighbor also suggested that the insulated doors (which are MUCH more expensive) are kind of unnecessary as one can easily insulate a single-layer door oneself for a lot less money. He did and his garage is quite toasty.

I live in Seattle so it's not bone cold... just need a good seal, I guess.

Any thoughts would be most welcome. If I could afford to go without the door I would, but I've no place to keep my car outside so I -need- that door to work.

TIA,

---JC

Default Re: New Garage Door Insulation? Materials?

The 10 garage door compamies you called are dishonest, because: 1. Home Depot sells Holms hardware for 1 piece doors, and 2. They do a lot of replacement doors nowadays and they must have the old hardware that they take down.

On the issue of insulation: you can cut and install your own foam insulation, or buy ready made insulation for sectional garage doors. Do you need it? If you use the garage for parking and storage only, maybe not. Insulation and windows are money makers for these companies.

I am confused as to why the spring itself can't just be replaced. I am also confused as to why the broken parts can't be repaired or replaced or fabricated anew at a fraction of the price of door replacement.

Secondly, even if the part is not included with a new torsion spring, and you can't buy just the broken part by itself, then what about having the existing one repaired or a new one fabricated? Look in the phone book for welding shops and machine shops and call around to see if this is something they could do.

Thirdly, I also assume that you can't work on the door yourself, which will relegate you to hiring someone to disassemble the broken parts, take them to wherever for repair or replacement, then reinstall them on the door. You might be able to find a door installer who will do this on the side or any handyman worth a hill of beans can do it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Check out www.prodoorsupply.com

Your post reminded me that I need to find some parts for one of my garage doors, so I did some searching and found that site. Seems to have lots of stuff, maybe you can find the part you're looking for.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thank you. You've likely saved me at least $600.

I feel very embarrassed right now. I -was- a professional engineer. I think engineers can sometimes be a bit gullible because we tend to -believe- people when they talk 'facts'. I -thought- I had done a certain amount of diligence. I called -ten- companies in the phone book and on the net. All claimed to be members of the BBB. All ten said in no uncertain terms that NO ONE in Seattle repaired my Stanley 1 piece wood door spring. They didn't say 'hard to find.' They insisted that it was just not done. I fact I felt pretty good about myself because I was -very- sceptical when I was initially told it couldn't be fixed. I guess I assumed that at least -one- of these companies would say something like, 'Yes, you -could- repair it, but...' Not one. It was just hard for me to accept that -all- of them could be blowing the same smoke. Clearly the industry as a whole has a problem.

But after your reply, by the most circuitous route, I found a Yelp review of a company about 30 miles away that isn't in my local yellow pages and does NOT even show up on Google. I called them and the lady who answered the phone sent 'Dave' out the next day.

Let me sing the praises of Dave. Dave is an old school tradesman. He collects parts from job sites whenever an old door is replaced. He replaced the spring with a cleaner 'used' spring with a freah collar. And he suggested I keep the old spring as a spare. He inspected and replaced the roller wheels for $15 ea and he replaced the collar on the -other- side as preventive maintenance. He showed me that because no one had properly lubed the wheels, that was making the stress on the collars much greater---and likely what broke the collar. He got in. Did the work. Explained everything clearly. And got out...in about 45 minutes. The door moves far better and seals far nicer, than -ever-. He suggested that, with proper oiling, the door may easily last another 10 years. $200. I am -so- relieved.

Now here's something: I asked Dave if he had a son to 'take over the biz'. He said, -no-. In fact, he said, 'my son-in-law owns the company and -he- doesn't like these old doors. After I retire, our company won't work on 'em either.'

As you implied... -anything- can be fixed if you can get parts... and can find someone who know what they're doing. Hopefully, Dave stays healthy!

I'm so glad I checked in here... it slowed me down enough to keep digging for an answer. And in the end, I got the problem solved far faster than if I -had- bought a new door.

Whew!

CHEERS!

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    The 10 garage door compamies you called are dishonest, because: 1. Home Depot sells Holms hardware for 1 piece doors, and 2. They do a lot of replacement doors nowadays and they must have the old hardware that they take down.
    Last edited by suntower; 10-06-2012 at 02:42 AM.