+ Reply to Thread

Default can you rough in a bathtub-shower before you actually buy one?

i am doing an addition with a full bathroom that is slab on grade. we are getting ready to start the groundwork but havent selected our fitures yet. i think all tub/showers may have the drains close but not exactly in the same spot? can i safely complete the rough in ground work prior to picking out my new tub or do i have to select my tub first? if i dont have to wait then what is a safe dimension to center the p trap off of the rough framing?

Default Re: can you rough in a bathtub-shower before you actually buy one?

See the other reply.

There are two locations for a tub drain: right side or left side, so you lay down the rough plumbing accordingly.
    A shower is different, but since you are planning a tub, it should not concern you.

If you are acting as the general manager of this little project, you should have some basic knowledge of what to do and how to avoid mistakes that later become very costly.

Where the tub trap goes in the slab a square hole is normally left open in the slab. you can do the same for the shower riser if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    See the other reply.

There are two locations for a tub drain: right side or left side, so you lay down the rough plumbing accordingly.
    A shower is different, but since you are planning a tub, it should not concern you.

If you are acting as the general manager of this little project, you should have some basic knowledge of what to do and how to avoid mistakes that later become very costly.
    OR center-drain.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    OR center-drain.
    Casey
    Correct, center or anywhere you want, for a shower only or specialty tubs. I think that the OP is going to have a std tub though.
    Last edited by dj1; 07-04-2012 at 09:04 PM.

It sounds like some dirt or debris was knock loose when the work was done and is blocking the line. Do you have a pressure guage on your bladder tank and is it showing pressure? Do you know where the check valve is in the system? Was the line from the house to the well replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by mikhelee View Post
    It sounds like some dirt or debris was knock loose when the work was done and is blocking the line. Do you have a pressure guage on your bladder tank and is it showing pressure? Do you know where the check valve is in the system? Was the line from the house to the well replaced?
    Just a guess but I would say you posted this on the wrong thread.

John