+ Reply to Thread

Default Top 3-5 Central Air Units

Hello!
    Would anyone provide (your opnioin)a top 3-5 good brand names for Central Air Units. I am in the market to replace mine. I just want to get an idea of what unit is better than others. Just a high level opnion.

Thank you!
    George!

Default Re: Top 3-5 Central Air Units

We had this topic in the past, and since the last time we taliked about it, nothing really changed.

There are expensive units out there, but they don't necessarily mean better quality. In a way, you are paying for the name brand, the marketing. Some of those that come to mind are: Carrier, lennox, American Std, Trane, Rheem, etc. You will hear good things and bad things about any of those.

More important things are the installation and the correct sizing. You can get lucky with an inexpensive unit, and unlucky with an expensive one, but a bad installation job will haunt you everytime.

Do your research, read about common complaints from other consumers, weigh your options and go with the unit you feel is within your budget.

Just a note: I have had good luck with Goodman, Day&Night (not considered top of the line) and bad luck with Carrier. Go figure.

I went through this a few months ago...

After being lowballed by the Carrier dealer (priced out "builder" unit) and Carrier was astronomical, I found an installer who handled American Standard.

In my research, I found that AS is the parent company of Trane. The units are made in the same factory, and on the same assembly line. They even use the same pics on their websites - same specs and warranties, too.

I got a 4-ton, dual compressor unit with electrostatic filter and digital pad for about $5,700 installed. My installer even changed out the drip pan for the new evaporator and replaced copper and electrical lines in the attic where creatures had chewed on them.

If you are in Central Florida, contact Allan at http://www.efficientairinc.com/

Brand is of 2nd importance to a good contractor that will install it correctly, install a properly sized unit (might even need to downsize what you have now), and make any correction to ductwork or airflow as needed.

Personally I love my Carrier Infinity system. I like it better than the previous premium Trane system I had.

Again, it depends on finding a good knowledgeable contractor. Ideally one that will do a load calculation to determine exactly how large of a system you need. FOr example, I did a load calculation on my house and determined that I only needed a 2 ton unit for my 1500sqft upstairs with TONS of windows. Yup, that's it. And I'm in a fairly hot and humid climate in terms of summer normal highs. Today it's 101F and humid and the upstairs is happily maintaining 74F. No problem. TO be fair, the house is very well constructed wiht deep eaves, stucco, plaster, beadbard, tight construction and descent shade trees.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

I'll agree with moto, the infinity system is awe some

Thanks for the response everyone. Right now, i definitely trust the contractors I've approached. My issue is the brand they are offering, Amana or Lennox. I'm leaning towards Amana for their Lifetime warranty.