+ Reply to Thread

Default slab on grade bathroom question

i just noticed and am questioning placement of my bathtub-shower on the drawings for my addition. the tub-shower is situated so the drain is against the exterior wall (all drains would align this way for the bath)instead of on the oppsoite side wich is an interior wall. my concern is the actual install hook up and maintenance if there is ever a problem, it originated as just a shower but then the plans changed to a tub-shower deal, the shower hook up is standard thru the bottom but the tub has the overflow and drain connection......
    can this be safely installed as drawn or should i question this and reverse it? thanks

Default Re: slab on grade bathroom question

If you live in a cold climate it is never a good idea to put plumbing on a outside wall. If you have a choice then go with the inside wall no matter what the climate.

John

the wall will be properly insulated and protected. we get all 4 seasons here (maryland. the inspector hasnt put out any red flags or questions- i am just wondering about the hookup for the tub-shower...

I have seen many walls insulated with water line in them that still froze. Keep in mind that insulation doesn't create heat. If you put a bucket of water outside in freezing temperatures and insulated it it would still freeze.

John

Add one vote for flipping the design. You'll be glad you did. I'd also plumb the tub with 2" pipe for the future when someone wants a shower only.

thanks- good points to ponder...
    the drain is drawn with 2" trap increasing into 4" main drain.
    thanks...

Most codes don't allow anything smaller the 2" drains under slabs.

John

If you can get the contractor to flip it, do so, but if you can't for some reason, then really watch how the insulation is installed in this area. Usually the insulation goes in after the plumbing and wiring and insulators will often cover the lines with the insulation, leaving the lines on the cold side. The lines need to be on the warm side.

The tub will still block airflow from the house getting around the pipes, so even on the warm side, they can still get quite cold.