+ Reply to Thread

Default MR16 replacements

I currently have track lighting that has small lamps with MR16 bulbs. These each have their own transformer, which is what connects to track. My question is: are there LED (or CFL) lamps that would directly replace the MR16s? Or is there another way I can convert to LED (cfl)?

Would be nice if dimmable, too, but that's not a deal-breaker.

Default Re: MR16 replacements

Quote Originally Posted by Gwhiz View Post
    I currently have track lighting that has small lamps with MR16 bulbs. These each have their own transformer, which is what connects to track. My question is: are there LED (or CFL) lamps that would directly replace the MR16s? Or is there another way I can convert to LED (cfl)?

Would be nice if dimmable, too, but that's not a deal-breaker.
    The MR16 track lighting system operates off a 12V AC transformer but LED's operate off of 12 V DC so they would require a higher voltage transformer and a rectifier to power an LED.

What you propose would be an excellent invention but is beyond the capability of most homeowners and safety as well as Code violations would occur.

It would be far cheaper to replace the fixture with a UL listed LED type.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multifaceted_reflector
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Thank you, "Semi". It was nice to get such a quick response. Now if only it had been the answer I was hoping for! Gueas I will just go for a replacement system. thanks again.

Gwhiz, hope your still monitoring this post.
    I stumbled into some "direct replacement" MR16 LED lamps at Home Depot today. One brand said they work on 12 AC or DC!

http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/20...ws/reviews.htm

The reviews are mixed but a few say buy one & try it, since they cost about $30 ea.

Toshiba says theirs wok on AC.

http://www.toshiba.com/lighting/prod.../mr16-gu53.jsp

If you try it..let us know if they work!
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

***! THANK YOU! I found actually two brands at Home Depot, Phillips and EcoSmart. EcoSmart was $19.99 and Phillips was abt. $24.99, so I got an Ecosmart to test. (I need GU5.3 but they also have GU10). IT WORKS GREAT! It's a "6 watt replacement for 20 watt halogen"; I'm using it in place of a 35 watt halogen and seems to me to be providing very similar amount of light as the halogen, at a little bit whiter value.

After reading a lot on the links you gave me (thanks for those, too) and further from there, somewhere in the world there are also 35 watt and 50 watt replacements but they seem to be for wholesale only,and maybe a little more fussy about electronic vs magnetic transformers.

Home Depot's models come in 20w (EcoSmart) and Phillips at 25w and 35w (as I recall). I'm going back to get a Phillips 35w to see if it will do as well, and try it in a place that I now have 50w halogens.

If that one doesn't work, I'll let you know that, too.

Thanks again.