+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question more backsplash questions

My kitchen tiles have been up since the 70's & the glue used is brown & won't come off short of taking down the sheet rock. I don't want to get into all of that. Can I plaster over it? I thought this might smooth it out enough & stay thin enough so I can put up something else without moving the electric boxes Has anyone ever used waterproof wallpaper? I am not ready to install anything permanent and thought this would work in the interim.
    Thanks

Default Re: more backsplash questions

I don't know where you find these ideas. Actually, you can do anything you want in your house.

The proper way to remove a tiled backsplash, if the tiles pull the drywall with them, is to remove the drywall too. Time for new drywall.

Or you can spend a while peeling the glue and a layer of paper off. How much time do you have?

How about smooting the adhesive as much as possible & doing a skim coat (or 2) of joint compound?

That will work unless the paper is damaged. If it is, coat first with Zinsser Guardz which will stop the paper from bubbling when dampened.