+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Disposal with a septic system

Quote Originally Posted by queen60 View Post
    Not a good idea. The problem with dumping scraps is it will attract vermin like rats and raccoons. Our old neighbor started what he called a 'compost pile' but was actually a personal garbage dump. We ended up having to clean, disinfect, and rat-proof our garage, since it made a convenient shelter for the rats feeding on the garbage.
    There are many thousands of compost piles around the country and it does not attract vermin. I have been composting here for 25 years and I don't have a problem. Now if you live in a suburban area and want to compost, then I would recommend a compost maker, which is a large container that you turn periodically. It keeps any vermin out.

[QUOTE=keith3267;266526]There are many thousands of compost piles around the country and it does not attract vermin. I have been composting here for 25 years and I don't have a problem. Now if you live in a suburban area and want to compost, then I would recommend a compost maker, which is a large container that you turn periodically. It keeps any vermin out.[/QUOTE

I suppose a properly maintained compost pile might be OK, but this one definitely wasn't, and it did attract the critters. Over the winter they moved into our garage since it was so close to their food source. We had to empty all the shelves, toss out a lot of stuff (not necessarily a bad thing!), and clean the entire interior with a bleach solution. We then added heavy-duty wire screens on the windows and vents, since they chewed through the old ones.

I suppose a properly maintained compost pile might be OK, but this one definitely wasn't, and it did attract the critters. Over the winter they moved into our garage since it was so close to their food source. We had to empty all the shelves, toss out a lot of stuff (not necessarily a bad thing!), and clean the entire interior with a bleach solution. We then added heavy-duty wire screens on the windows and vents, since they chewed through the old ones.
    As I said, I live in the country, I have very few neighbors. There are about a dozen families on my 2.5 mile long road. If you have quite a few neighbors, then I really do recommend one of those composting systems like the rotating barrel or one of those vertical kits, They do the job but keep the vermin out, and they look nicer too.