+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disposal with a septic system

We recently purchased a house with a septic system and there is no disposal in the kitchen sink, even though it appears that there is an electrical switch for it. We've been told conflicting information, ie, we cannot use a disposal with a septic system at all, but the home inspector checked and was told that so long as there is a dishwasher (which there is), it would be ok to install a disposal. Is it ok to install a disposal? Thanks

Default Re: Disposal with a septic system

You can use a disposal when on a septic system, however you will be adding to the material load requiring the tank to be more frequent pumping to remove the extra material. Therefore, it is recommended to NOT have a disposal. Ultimately, the choice is yours.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Actually the first place to ask is your town hall or building department, because in some areas they allow GDs and in some areas they don't. Also, check with your neighbors.

If you have a dishwasher, you are disposing food leftovers into the sewer, and a garbage disposer will come in handy griding the leftovers down.

My local Home Depot carries a disposal specifically made for septic systems, but I'm not sure you need a special model.

If you have a septic system, that implies that you live in a rural or semi rural area and that you have a bit of land. How do you feel about a compost bucket in the kitchen to collect scraps in then dump them in a remote corner of the yard? You have to dump daily or every other day or the bucket will start to smell, and clean it every time you dump it.

I don't see what would make one disposal better then another for use on a septic. Sounds like a sales pitch to me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    I don't see what would make one disposal better then another for use on a septic. Sounds like a sales pitch to me.

John
    I do agree with you, but it does exist. There was no explanation on how or why it was different.

As long as code allows a GD with septic is fine. I lived with one for years.

Living with a septic system is different than public sewers;

1- Don't pour grease down the drain
    2- Keep fats out of the GD
    3- Flush the lines with hot water after using the GD to get the bits down to the tank
    4- Don't flush non bio-degradable plastics
    5- Take it easy on the household cleaning products as they will kill the wee beasties in your tank. Bleach is not a nice thing.

Septic tanks are designed to process organic waste, but not the amount of that waste generated through regular use of a garbage disposal. In general, garbage disposal units should not be used with a septic system. The problems and cost of frequent cleanings caused by use of a garbage disposal with a septic system are not worth the small convenience offered by a disposal. That being said, the use of a dishwasher almost requires a garbage disposal but it does not mean you need to use it for all the garbage you create.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 07-02-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Ok now I heard some people calling BS on the garbage disposal built for septic tanks, But I can attest that they are better and are built for septic systems and I can explain why it makes a difference it has a little injector that injects friendly bio product bacteria to help break down the food waste not only will it help the stuff you put down the disposer it will help your entire septic tank its made by Insinkerator the only down fall is every once in a while you would have to refill the bio product not only that it has 2-3 stage grinding so what's left to go into the septic is very little anyways that's why it matter's what one you use.

http://www.insinkerator.com/en-us/Ho...ticAssist.aspx

Ben Franklin Plumbing Salt Lake City
    372 D St
    Salt Lake City, UT 84103
    (801) 416-3522

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    My local Home Depot carries a disposal specifically made for septic systems, but I'm not sure you need a special model.

If you have a septic system, that implies that you live in a rural or semi rural area and that you have a bit of land. How do you feel about a compost bucket in the kitchen to collect scraps in then dump them in a remote corner of the yard? You have to dump daily or every other day or the bucket will start to smell, and clean it every time you dump it.
    Not a good idea. The problem with dumping scraps is it will attract vermin like rats and raccoons. Our old neighbor started what he called a 'compost pile' but was actually a personal garbage dump. We ended up having to clean, disinfect, and rat-proof our garage, since it made a convenient shelter for the rats feeding on the garbage.