+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Unhappy Paint Disaster on my Porch

Okay, so, my husband and I bought this house from his grandmother, and, ages ago, before we bought it, my Mother-In-Law decided to paint the porch. This is one of those examples of a cheap fix done inexpertly, that has become more expensive in the long run. I guess it seemed like a great idea at the time, but she ended up using an indoor latex paint on the concrete porch. So now I have a brewing environmental disaster as the paint flakes off in inch-wide chunks in some places, but holds in others. Not to mention we'll soon be getting a redneck award for how BAD it looks!

So, how do I remove this disaster from my porch, and what do I use on the concrete to replace it?

Oh, as an added bonus, it seems to have been painted twice before, according to the layers that are coming up.

Default Re: Paint Disaster on my Porch

You didn't say what kind of porch it is, but if it's open with masonry walls, I'd give it a good power wash. It will loosen up and break most of the paint, then use a metal brush or a scr aper to finish the job.

There are paints designed especially for concrete floors available at the stores.

If it is closed with walls, you can try soaking the slab, then covering with sheet plastic to loosen the paint.

Try the methods mentioned to remove the paint. Whatever is left you can remove with prosoco safstrip or the more powerful safstrip 8. Then treat the concrete with one of prosoco's colorants such as colorhard.

It is an open porch with iron railing on two sides and walls with siding on two sides. The siding is BRAND NEW, as in installed last year, and I'm afraid of damaging it with power tools. I think what is under the three layers of bad paint is just concrete.

Cover the siding with plastic, if you want to use a power wash.

Even a power wash nozzle, the kind that is attached to a garden hose, will do the job. What's the alternative? get down on your knees and scrub for two days?

You said painted ages ago, please define if you can. Is there lead paint involved? You can get a tester at the box stores to double dneck. Either way I would recomnd a orange based paint stripper. The only differance is how careful you must be in the clean up. Stripping the old paint off is the only way to go. Believe me, I have made this mistake before. No matter how good the paint you put on, it is only as good as the surface you are applying it to. You can use plastic and tape to protect the siding and anything else that needs it. If there is lead paint invloved, I would scrub it down afterwards and suck the water and mess up with a wet dry vac. If no lead paint is present, pressure wash it. Yes you can do harm with a pressure washer, but unlikely as long as you dont stay in one place with it, or get to close. I have NEVER done any damage to a well painted surface with a pressure washer, and I have had to do a hard wash on more siding than you can imagine. Since you are afraid, use the white tip on the washer, and dial the pressure down. Good luck.