+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Longest Unfinished Project

We started an addition to our house when our children were about 2yrs and 4 yrs old. They are now 26 and 28 and we have two grandchildren.
    The house is still not done.
    There are no baseboards in the family room and in the bathroom.
    What was once a bathroom and a porch area in the original house is now a "junk room" and storage area. The plumbing has been removed from the bathroom. We didn't want to do the work needed on it because we were going to replace it anyway. The kitchen was going to be enlarged and remodeled. That has never happened.
    My entire kitchen measures 8 1/2 feet by 11 feet.
    To make matters worse we have no basement. We have very little storage area.
    We have windows that have no trim on them. We have a large row of windows on the south side of the house that were to be a solar collection unit which never worked right. There is also sheet rock that has never been finished and painted.
    I used to tease my husband that he was going to finish it for his next wife. I friend told me to tell him that my next husband was going to finish it for me.
    It may not look like much but it is paid for and it is the home where he have lived for almost 30 years and raised our family.
    Joy

Default Re: Longest Unfinished Project

This project started out as a 1978, three bedroom, two bath ranch. In 1996 my friends decided that they could no longer live in a modern house and decided to renovate. Renovate included adding a second floor, an additional bath and more bedrooms for their six children. In November they gathered a group of friends and ripped the roof off. That night began a week of down pours accompanied by high winds. A number of times we were caught by the wind while trying to re-attach the tarps and lifted into the air. During the winter we managed to get the second floor framed in and started on the wood roof. Not a job for Long Island winters! In the morning the roof was covered with frost and we had to pick our work area depending on how the sun was shining. Finally the roof was done, copper gutters were installed, and (some) siding put up just as the money ran out. Since that time, work has been done strictly on a paycheck-to-paycheck basis. Gradually the second floor bedrooms and bath were finished in true colonial style with a claw foot tub and traditional doors and moldings. Two of the ground floor bedrooms had to be converted into an apartment for a newly married son and another bedroom became used as a computer room as the children grew up and left home. After 13 years the siding still needs to be finished, electrical work needs to be completed, the kitchen is still 1970’s style and most of the ground floor needs to be sheet rocked. This project is still being worked on as finances allow but it’s beginning to look like it will be completed by the grandchildren!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010008.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	2561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010017.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	2562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010015.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	2563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010013.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	2564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010010.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	2566