+ Reply to Thread

Default How to determine which water pipe leads to the refrigerator.

Last year we had a leak on our refrigerator's ice maker and water started leaking into our kitchen. We were able to shut off the main water supply to the house and repair the valve, but I'd like to install a shut-off valve to selectively turn off the water supply to the fridge. The problem is that the pipes supplying water to the refrigerator are covered in our finished basement (completed before we bought the house). Some pipes are accessible in the unfinished section of the basement, but I can't figure out how to determine which of these pipes leads to the refrigerator.

Default Re: How to determine which water pipe leads to the refrigerator.

If you have an average set up, your ice maker tube is a 1/4" tube. Trace it from the fridge into the wall and see which pipe it goes into. You may have to cut some drywall to get a good view.

But a simpler solution will be this: install an in line shut off valve on your 1/4" tube, before it disappears in the wall or the floor. You can buy all your necessary parts, with instructions, in the stores.

Most are piped from under your kitchen sink. Look for a small 1/4" line under there, it should have a valve on it.

John

Look behind your frige for a small tube,it could go up into the attic even.My water lines run in the attic and the water to my ice maker is controlled by a small shut off attached to the cold water line. I live in the Houston area of Texas. Location may make a difference how the plumbing runs.

Uh, guys, it is just as likely that there is a 1/2" supply directly behind the refrigerator. the lines you are speaking of are a "retrofit" answer in older homes. New(er ) homes have a dedicated line to the fridge, stubbed into the wall very similarly to how modern laundry hook-ups are, this is how it is done in my area at least. If this is the case, then there is no 1/4" line to find or follow. Dj1 is most correct, however, that some removal of drywall will be required to see which lines go where. I would suggest some exploratory surgery directly under the refrigerator wall. Make the cut large enough to get your head in there with a flashlight to look around. If it is possible to look in where the pipes are exposed in the basement, start with that.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Tap on one of the pipes to see which one vibrates back to the hot water tank.....You can also turn thecold and HW line off and drain the lines. Then turn the cold back on ,,,you should be able to feel the water filling up the cold pipe.....
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content