+ Reply to Thread

Default Hole in my water softener's salt platform...

I had a hoge salt bridge in my water softener. When busting it up, I ended up poking a couple inch hole in my salt platform. It's an older Kenmore water softener.
    Is there anything to be concerned about if some salt nuggets get down below the salt platform?

Default Re: Hole in my water softener's salt platform...

Not sure what you mean by "salt platform". Softeners generally have a brine tank that you put salt in. When the softener recycles it runs water into the brine tank to dissolve some of the salt which creates brine. That brine is then pumped back through the softener to clean and recharge it. If you have holes in the brine tank you will have that water running out and you will not have the necessary brine to recharge the softener.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

On my softener, the salt platform is an elevated layer of meshed plastic that sits a few inches above the bottom of the salt storage tank. It keeps the salt crystals from going all the way to the bottom of the salt storage tank.

It seems like the function is to keep the proper amount of water and salt in contact with each other, and to keep the brine well from getting filled with salt.

The brine is completely underneath and an inch or so above the level of the salt platform, as it is supposed to be.

I don't know if some salt falling through the platform is a big deal, or if I should disconnect the tank, drain the brine and repair the salt platform.

Probably all you would have to watch is that the salt doesn't block the brine pick up hose. A few crystals in to bottom should dissolve with no problem.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb