+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy A gopher has moved into my yard & treating it like an all you can eat salad bar

Our dog was a great deterrent to critters snacking on our gardens (flowers, trees & veggies). She passed last year & we now have a gopher that is getting fat at our expense. Any suggestions?

Default Re: A gopher has moved into my yard & treating it like an all you can eat salad bar

Get another dog. Use gopher traps.

Gophers eat grubs and earthworms. Either you have good soil and lots of earthworms or you have problems with Japanese Beetles or June Bugs or both. For the latter, try Milky Spore Disease, it kills the grubs and with them gone, the gophers leave.

Smile Re: A gopher has moved into my yard & treating it like an all you can eat salad bar

Realized it's a groundhog! I got pinwheels & placed them all around & hope it will work. I am also having the brush pile removed & so this should encourage it to move on. As far a a new dog - love to but - been there, done that!

Thanks for your help

Default Re: A gopher has moved into my yard & treating it like an all you can eat salad bar

If you thought the backsplash was difficult...here comes the groundhog.

They are much more difficult to deal with than gophers. Trapping may work. Poison won't.

A friend of mine had a woodchuck (same family) which was destroying his garden. He took a shovel and sat and sat and sat for hours waiting for it to come out. Finally got him. True story.

Yuck! Actually I saw the little bugger yesterday and he went under the shed. I put concrete blocks all around it. I know it will only slow it down but maybe I'll be able to detect where it is exiting next.

You might try live trapping and relocate it to your neighbor's yard.

Actually, I'd take it out as far away from your area as feasibly possible or turn it over to animal control and let them relocate it.

Back in my youth I sat in wait more than a few times for a mole or gopher to surface. It's fairly easy, actually, and doesn't take all that long if you know what to do. Look for the freshest mound and uncover the hole. These critters don't like the light, so will be back very soon to investigate and cover their hole again. When you see the dirt moving it is your cue to pounce, whether that be with a shovel, pellet gun, or some other form of death inducing paraphernalia.

If you'd rather exterminate, get yourself a propane weed torch (a decent one is $40 at Harbor Freight ) and some sulfur crystals. Open up the hole, toss in a generous amount of sulfur crystals and then burn them with the torch, the fumes will suffocate whatever be down that hole. Unfortunately, a road flare won't do it, not sure why, probably the wrong type of sulfur compound.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

OMG lol thats too funny! If you need your backyard redone after you kill your pest, check out novel remodeling. great hardscaping and landscaping options to choose from.