+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Re-wiring Old House

We are considering purchase of a 100 year old, two story home that needs all the wiring upgraded. We want to save the original plaster and the wood trim to keep the house's appeal and historic look. Of course we need a contractor but we want to know the possible ways to run new wire without wrecking the house's interior. What about using fiber optic scopes to explore the walls to find passage ways for wiring? Anyone have experience with this type of issue? Thanks

Default Re: Re-wiring Old House

For a clean job, including a panel upgrade (license required), call for estimates from electricians.

Quote Originally Posted by jmjasteward View Post
    We are considering purchase of a 100 year old, two story home that needs all the wiring upgraded. We want to save the original plaster and the wood trim to keep the house's appeal and historic look. Of course we need a contractor but we want to know the possible ways to run new wire without wrecking the house's interior. What about using fiber optic scopes to explore the walls to find passage ways for wiring? Anyone have experience with this type of issue? Thanks
    An electrician will walk around in the attic and crawl space with a powerful flashlight looking for ways to fish wire.

He may drop a weighted string down a cavity to see how far it will drop.

Also, remove some switches and receptacles.

All this will tell you if the walls have insulation, firestops etc.

If you need a fixed price from an electrician you can point these things out and maybe get a better price.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Dear J: I think I saw a recent posting here from someone asking about re-wiring -- the price was something like $17,000, so prepare accordingly.

You really can't put a price tag on safety. Old wirings, faulty wirings, outdated electric main panels, and so on, are the leading causes of house fires.

Some insurance companies won't even insure homes with inadequate electrical systems.

Wire the bottom floor from underneath and the upper floor from the attic. If the house is that old the walls should not have insulation. You can also remove all the siding to re-wire, which would give you a chance to insulate and re-plumb.

We all agree that rewiring an old house should be a priority but inadequate wiring is not the leading cause of residential fires. It is actually 4th on the list and a very small percentage of residential fires. The National Fire Protection Association(NFPA) is and has been the authority on this and every other issue regarding fires and fire protection service for 116 years.

According to the NFPA the leading causes of residential fires for 2005 to 2009 are as follows;

Cooking 42%
    Heating 17%
    Intentional 8%
    Elect. Dist 6%

This ranking did not change in 2010. Other causes such as candles, children playing with fire, smoking etc. ranked further down the list.

Just wanted the OP to know what he's taking on once he signs on the line. He's doing a good thing by asking.
    In my experience, we took on a house that needed $20,000 for deferred maintenance and $50,000 for renovation, and lifetime $500 per month of landscape maintenance (we can't physically do the work), and we're stuck. Part was our fault for under estimating the complexity and having a desire to settle in.
    But we got bad advice, also. Everybody said "Oh, it just a minor issue that can be fixed. Just call around for a contractor."

Quote Originally Posted by t_manero View Post
    Just wanted the OP to know what he's taking on once he signs on the line. He's doing a good thing by asking.
    In my experience, we took on a house that needed $20,000 for deferred maintenance and $50,000 for renovation, and lifetime $500 per month of landscape maintenance (we can't physically do the work), and we're stuck. Part was our fault for under estimating the complexity and having a desire to settle in.
    But we got bad advice, also. Everybody said "Oh, it just a minor issue that can be fixed. Just call around for a contractor."
    True it can get pricey but, have your electrician prioritize the items needed to bring it "up to Code". Some items like GFCI protection on circuits in wet locations are critical while other items like AFCI's in all areas are questionable. Do the critical items first and ask for daily updates on the costs. Stop when your budget runs out.

If you don't disturb wiring which was once legal..it can remain until you have the time and money to upgrade it.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Plaster can be patched, and in a 100 year old house, I suspect that it already has plenty of patches in it. In fact, there is a good chance that the areas around each outlet and wall switch are already patched as the house is not likely to have been wired when it was originally built.

I am quite leery about the NFPA statistics applying to this house. Those stats are for all houses that caught fire. If you were to isolate house fires stats to old houses with wiring that dates back before 1940 or so, then the stats might be very different. I once looked at a house built in the 40's but in a chance conversation with my insurance agent, he told me that I would not be able to insure it with State Farm unless all the wiring was replaced. Dodged a bullet there.

Re-wiring is not going to be cheap, and some patching of the plaster will be inevitable, but a good contractor will be able to minimize the damage and subsequent repairs. A good contractor like this may cost a little more up front, but can save you more in the long run in other costs for repairs. A cheap contractor will just want to rip out all the walls and you will have an expensive mess to clean up.

But if you do decide to rip out the plaster on the exterior walls, you can insulate the house and save some money on climate control in the long run. You can also check and address any structural problems that might show up later.